Saturday, May 15, 2010

Changes

I continue to be amazed at how this disease randomly changes in the way it affects me. While my speech is clearer now most of the time and I don't have as many twitching episodes, I now have more joint stiffness and pain, and random jerking movements; mostly in my limbs. My left wrist is very sore all the time, as though it's mildly sprained and I cannot put weight on it without intense pain. My left knee aches constantly and walking is difficult. Also my muscles have weakened significantly in the last few months. My legs and arms will buckle when trying to move around or support myself. I've also had recurring pain that is unlike any other. It is not a sharp pain, but a dull nagging ache...it feels like my bones are screaming at me. The pain is more aggravating than anything else and leaves me wanting to grinding my teeth in frustration Many have asked if I've told my doctor all this. Frankly, I don't see the point. It is all caused by the disease, so when I treat that, it will all go away. I'd rather not waste my precious little energy trying to treat symptoms when I could be raising fund to treat the underlying disease. For now I will take ibuprofen to dull the pain so I can focus on my goal.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Jessica,as a Nurse i can only make a suggestion..about your pain, though do to Lyme Disease...its still a constant wear on your body, if you can control one element of the the symptoms it can, allow rest, to body and mind. The body of a person in pain is trying to fight so many things to heal...if it doesnt have to fight the pain it can CONCENTRATE elsewhere....please look into pain control,Like the TENS unit, or a Lidocaine patch if you dont want to start on prescription pain meds...Peace to you....Carla ( a friend of Patte's :D )

Carla said...

Here is info on the TENS unit.Most insurance company's cover this. Do you have a Physical Therapist, they usually have access to TENS units.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfxlTXF73w
My husband and i randomly bought one, for knotted tension muscle pain....its amazing, really works...... Hope you can somehow relieve your pain...Peace...Carla