Thursday, December 19, 2013

Paying it forward update

Since some of the homeless in our area have dogs, ( and from what I've heard, many who congregate at the park where I'm going Sunday do as well) I just couldn't go handing out goodies to people without bringing something along for their furry friends. So, I baked up some doggy biscuits which sis helped me package this afternoon  The recipe made 286 nickel-sized treats, cut out using a rolled up section of an empty soda can with rubber bands around it to keep it from uncurling.


3 1/2 cups oats with an extra 1/2 cup for sprinkling on rolling surface. (I put mine in a food processor for about 30 seconds til it resembled a coarse meal)
1 tbsp dried parsley or 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley 
2 large eggs
1 cup peanut butter
Stir everything together. Mixture will be crumbly.
Add about 1/2 cup cold water or enough to make a cohesive dough. Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut with cookie cutter or make little balls and press them flat with the bottom of a cup.
Bake at 300 on lightly greased baking sheets for 40 - 60 minutes depending on the size. Biscuits will be dark golden brown and crisp all the way through. No refrigeration necessary as long as they're very dry and crisp 
I baked the nickel-sized ones for 40 minutes. Once completely cool, store in airtight container. 

No comments: